Tidbits: The 1950’s
- In 1956-57 our branch membership hit the 200 mark for the first time.
- Program themes included: “Our Responsibilities in the World Today,” “Growth Through Understanding” and “The Roles of Women in the World Today.”
- In the 1950’s Branch members enjoyed traveling and took many tours, including visits to Chicago, Amlings, Barney’s Market, the Coast Guard, the Historical Society, Bowman’s Dairy, and the Lighting Institute.
- Fundraising activities included: a rummage sale, a book auction, and sponsorship of an Elgin Civic Symphony Concert.
- Our branch served as the hostess branch for an AAUW-IL Northern Illinois workshop which broke previous attendance records. There were 238 AAUW members from 30 branches across the state participating.