The American Association of University Women, founded in 1881, is the nation’s leading voice advancing gender equity for women and girls through research, education and advocacy. Our Elgin Branch began in 1920 and was originally known as “The Elgin College Club.” From those beginning years our branch has always been actively involved in all areas of our mission statements.
- Branch name changed to American Association of University Women in 1921.
- Money was collected for the Madame Curie radium fund.
- First annual reception was held for senior high girls.
- Elgin Branch involved in the organization of the State Level of AAUW.
- Study groups focused on “The Pre-School Child” and “International Relations.”
- Money-making projects included: a lecture series, bridge parties, sale of historical Elgin maps, and sponsorship of movies.